northern lights

northern lights
image

Saturday 21 December 2013

prayer













   When I was small I studied in a  Convent School. The prayer which we recited  is still etched in my mind.The following prayer  is so deep rooted that I can never forget it.                                           
                                         Our Father, which art in heaven,
                                                Hallowed be thy Name.
                                                   Thy Kingdom come.
                                          Thy will be done in earth,
                                                 As it is in heaven.
                                           Give us this day our daily bread.
                                             And forgive us our trespasses
                                                  For ever and ever.
                                                          Amen
Being a Hindu, this prayer is always in my mind.A sincere prayer, which comes from the heart recited in any language, or pertaining to any religion  gives solace and alleviates our mind.  After all what is a prayer. It is our  conversation with God to thank Him for His mercies and to seek His blessings. We pray to God to solicit  His grace and  kindness for us and our near and dear ones.
   There are various methods by which we pray. Different religious institutions propagate different  forms  for seeking  the kindness of God Almighty. But one thing common to every religion is that we must be kind, truthful, sincere, earnest and righteous towards all living beings. The teachings of every religion is similar.Whether we go to a church, a temple,a mosque or a gurdwara the same God is omnipresent.

Church of Redemption, Delhi
Rakabganj gurdwara Delhi
                              











Jama Masjid - Delhi, Delhi
Jama masjid, Delhi.
                                   
Guruvayur temple, Kerala






                                                                              
  Prayers can be performed in different ways. We may read from the scriptures or recite it. We may sing or chant  spontaneously as we pray. There may be  musical accompaniment with it.A prayer must come from the heart. Whereas we may pray for one hour, but still may not be praying, but if  we  pray for five minutes  with  sincerity, it will have an lasting effect and will be heard by God.You must have seen in movies an old lady, with a mala in her hand praying, but actually not concentrating, giving instructions to the family or the servants. Prayers  may be offered mentally as meditation.. Often, there are prayers to fit specific occasions, such as the blessing of God for some significant events in the life of a believer, or on  days of the year that have special religious importance.
                   God is one .He is  the only supreme power. The power of prayer is such that it transforms  the complete  personality an individual. We all know that Maharishi Valmiki, a wayside robber,became a great saint just by reciting the name of  lord Rama. The power of prayer is real and palpable.It can be felt by an individual. This in it self is a gift bestowed by Him.God cares for us. We  too should ,on our part be steadfast in our devotion.  
     God knows us well.Every  thought, every action and every deed performed by us is known to Him.We can therefore go to Him  and bare our heart to Him.Some people approach god  with an ulterior motive. They offer 'bribe' in return for the mercies that they demand. He will shower His blessings only if one deserves them. He is all powerful and can gauge our feelings and emotions without our asking.
    I am a firm believer of God. I feel that He is protecting me and my family. I vividly remember that during my cancer surgery His presence  was with me. The dazzling lights of Heaven and His protective hands raised in blessing me, were  not only comforting but engulfed my whole being in His tender fold.I surrender  to God Almighty in all humility.
  In this week of  Merry Christmas I pray to God to shower his grace and kindness on all beings. I wish all my friends a merry Christmas.


 pics courtesy google..
.
Reposted for BAR  on26 .01.2015
       


             









24 comments:

  1. Nice.. It also reminds me of a funny line..."Why is it when we pray we are talking to God but when he/she talks back we are schizophrenic?

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2013/12/west/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pheno. I am glad you liked the post. About the line that you have written,' I can only say that is the way of the world.' Welcome to my site.

      Delete
  2. True ma'am. God is one like they say sabka malik ek. I have faith in god too and i believe such faith can move mountains. A merry Xmas to you to ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asha. Yes Asha , we must have faith in God. It gives us so much peace of mind.

      Delete
  3. Neatly expressed.I think prayer is communion with God in total faith and surrender.
    It can be in any form as you rightly said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KP .A prayer from the heart is always rewarded.

      Delete
  4. I have always believed that organized religion was just a means to make the concept of God easy to understand. And completely agree with your point when you say that all Gods are one, and the easiest way to communicate with him would be a simple prayer, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jairam. A simple prayer, if performed with faith is heard by God.

      Delete
  5. Yes,God is one.
    But,I don't see anything beyond Hindu Gods.....rightly or wrongly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BK. You may believe in any God, but the prayer must performed with humility.

      Delete
  6. So true Ma'am, God knows what we really are and what we want, yet nothing comforts us more than sharing our heartfelt feelings with him. I feel prayer is just that, our honest feelings expressed to God, be it anger, wish or thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Reshma, we can communicate with Him with an open heart.

      Delete
  7. Its the best post i have come across throughout the day. Wonderful it is...
    God Bless you Dear Usha..Keep sharing such wonderful thoughts.

    I have tagged you in my post here http://cerebralrendezvous.blogspot.in/2013/12/x-mas-shopping-with-dadda-pius-porky.html

    Do respond by writing back for me and you can feel free to tag me in one of yours. I will be more than happy to acknowledge it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Priyanka for such inspiring comments.
    Thank you also for tagging me.I am sorry I will not be able to write a post. I have been tagged by three more friends. I cannot write so many posts on the same subject. I hope you will understand

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember reciting this prayer every morning in elementary school. ☺ It's obviously universal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debbie this prayer is universal. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. I believe in God and talking to him devoid of the elaborate rituals sometimes the society enforces..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The younger generation is rightly recognising that prayer is a personal matter.

      Delete
  11. I love your simple yet sweet prayer at the end Usha. I believe that prayer can even come in the form of some dances as I have experienced Oneness at times when in a trance-like meditative state dancing with my heart in joy! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Elly, prayer is not a thing to flaunt wealth. It is a personal matter between an individual and God.

      Delete
  12. OMG!! Nostalgia. ..Our father in heaven....was my school prayer. In fact it became my personal prayer, too. Thanks for sharing Ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pray for 5 minutes silently, no elaborate rituals for me but God knows I am sincere :) I love talking to him and getting answers in the form of signs, loved reading your insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Sulekha Prayer is a dialogue between God and an individual. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete