northern lights

northern lights
image

Saturday 23 August 2014

Twelve of my favourite things

Every body has a liking for somethings and dislike for some . I am now in the twilight of my life and am not able to do much. Still the love and craze  for doing all those things still persists.
1. My first love was reading.There was always  a book in my hands;..I must have read innumerable books. Till last year  book reading was my craze, whether  it was a book in English or a Hindi  I read every thing . Now  due to my failing eye sight, it is difficult to pursue this hobby.
2.I love cooking. Yes cooking, but not this every day routine daal and roti.I enjoy making  cakes, puddings, salads, chocolates etc. I keep looking for recipes and try different things.I modulate the recipe according to the taste and requirement of my family. Last week I had written a recipe of a salad. In the original  full cream was used. I substituted it with cottage cheese.
3. I love my laptop. Sometimes I think, if I did not have a laptop, how I would I spent my time. I am now nearing eighty years old. I play games like Scrabble and mind jolt games. I write blogs. With this post, I will touch 500 blogs. I write whatever comes to my mind. Sometimes, when I am stuck and don't know how to proceed, I trouble some of my friends and they guide me, for which I am grateful to them.
4. I love to talk on the phone. I can talk for hours with  close friends.My smart phone is my permanent companion.
5. Till some years back, I used to look forward to going out to different places. Now, the very thought of going out  brings goosebumps in my stomach.  I like to sit in my corner,with every thing under the sun,that I need, is available  in my desk.
6.I love listening to old Hindi Movie  songs. Kishore Kumar, Hemant kumar, Talat Mahmood and Geeta Dutt, Lata Mangeshkar  being my favorites,
7. I like to see old Movies on You Tube. There is hardly an old movie which I did not see in my younger days, I enjoy seeing them now once again.
8. I used to love knitting. I developed this liking after my retirement. I have made numberless  scarves, shawls and even blankets.I still like to knit and teach knitting to my maid.She was excited that she could knit a pullover for herself.
9.I am fond of  colorful bangles. I used to like wearing these bangles, but now I am happy to see my collection.. A few of my bangles are shown below
                                                    
My bangles
10. I love greenery and flowers. In our house we have got at least  five hundred potted plants. In Feb/March the whole house looks so beautiful with different color flowers blooming.
11. I love to eat junk food. Even though I advise my children and grand children to avoid junk food, but I love Maggi noodles.I can eat them  any time of the day.
12. Last but not the lest I love my house, my lovely family and the love, affection and a spirit of oneness  which  binds us together.
I end this post with a quotation from Lord Bernard Shaw,"A happy family is an earlier Heaven"


Written for Write Tribe Wednesday Prompt  12 things I like
Date23rd March 2014.

26 comments:

  1. I loved the list, Ma'am :) Why don't you try downloading e-books and reading it on your laptop? It must be so hard to stay away from your first love! Please, try reading on the kindle/ laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya,Aathira, I have read a few books online, but you don't get as much satisfaction as you get with the book in your hand.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Nothing beats the feel of a book in your hands... Turning the pages, sniffing it... Ah! The pure joy :)

      Delete
  2. And I would love to meet you in person someday, Ma'am :) We share a lot of common interests right from cooking, baking to eating junk food ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindly check your time line on Face Book.

      Delete
  3. How sweet!! Lovely list, Mam! I enjoyed reading them. :) I love books, music, bangles, flowers, maggi noodles, laptop and cooking! Wow.. that's a lot in common! :)

    Could you check this link when free? I'm not able to comment from my blog ID! :(

    http://somethingiscooking.com/2014/08/23/chettinad-tomato-rasam/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shalini.I am sorry you you cannot comment from your blog. I tried but could not locate any fault.

      Delete
  4. Lovely list and so much of similarities too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your eclectic list of all your interests and can relate to many of them. Sorry you don't get out as much as you used to but it's good you have your laptop and Iphone to stay connected. I am with my parents right now and they are in their eighties. They live in a remote place here in Nova Scotia in Canada so they enjoy their laptops and their Internet.

    http://cattitudeandgratitude.blogspot.ca/2014/08/im-enjoying-my-vacation-in-cape-breton.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Cathy. Your parents must be having a good time with you with them. In old age I too look forward to a visit by my children and grandchildren. Stay happy. God bless you.

      Delete
  6. cooking, reading, knitting, gardening, listening to music, travelling .....amazing........ there is so much you have done/do. Great! keep it going:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asha I used to do all this along with my job. But now, even though interest is still there but reflexes are not active.

      Delete
  7. Lovely list Usha Ma'am. Lovely bangles. I loove reading, watching movies, old songs and, of course, blogging:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vishal. Wow, quite a number of interests are similar.

      Delete
  8. Ushaji, great list! I share many points in common with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the things you love except the cooking part :) And maybe the old movies bit

    Random Thoughts Naba - 12 Most Puzzling Acquaintances in Life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naba for liking my favourites.

      Delete
  10. Loved your list :-) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete