northern lights

northern lights
image

Tuesday 2 September 2014

My favourite authors

I have always been a voracious reader. I always loved to read. Whether it was a Hindi book or English, whether a magazine, short stories or novels , I read  every thing. Now when I sit and recollect my favorite authors, so many names are flashing in my mind , I cannot decide which ones to include and which  ones to drop out. I am jotting down twelve authors,who have left a stamp on the mind and cannot be erased.
1. The first on my list is Thomas Hardy. I have read Tess, Mayor of Caster Bridge, Tale of two cities.and Far from the Madding crowd, Fate and chance play a major role in his novels
                                            
Thomashardy restored.jpg
Thomas Hardy

2. Jane Austen: I loved to read her novels Pride and Prejudice,Emma and Sense and Sensibility.She generally wrote about women issues, like  Love and marriage.She was one of the most widely read authors.
                                                 
Jane Austen
Jane Austen
                                         

3. Shakespeare  is considered to be the world's largest dramatist, actor and poet. He wrote about forty plays. I have read Merchant of Venice, Tempest, As you like it, Comedy of Errors, and Hamlet. He also wrote sonnets, poems with fourteen lines.


Shakespeare.jpg
Shakespeare


4.Mrs Sudha Murty is a talented writer. Her Novel Dollar Bahu, Mahasheta and  Punyabhumi Bharat are some of the books I have read. Her simple style of writing is very appealing  You feel you are having a real conversation with the author.



SudhaMurthy.jpg
Sudha Murthi

5.R. K. Narayan is a very versatile writer.His Malgudi Days  and Guide have made him immortal.He won the Sahitya Akademy award for Guide. Malgudi, an imaginary village,which is the destination of his writings is also known far and wide.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/R._K._Narayan.jpg
R.K.Narayan



6.Munshi Prem Chand is my favourite Hindi novelist. I have read  many of his novels.  Gaban, Godaan  Bade ghar ki Beti and Nirmala. He was rightly known as 'Emporer of Stories''.
                                                     
Premchand 4 a.jpg
Munshi Prem Chand
                                                     


7. Amrita Pritam.was a very popular writer of Hindi and Punjabi. She wrote novels and poetry with equal ease.  Many of her works have been translated in to  different languages. I had very little knowledge of Punjabi(gurmukhi). For sometime she was our neighbour. It was at that time I  became interested in Punjabi. She presented me a copy of her book Pinjar,which  is my great treasure. She got a Sahitya Academy Award for the book. She was the recipient of prestigious Awards like Bharat Vibhushan and Padma Shri, from Government of India. She  died in the year 2005.
Amrita Pritam (1919 – 2005) , in 1948.jpg
Amrita Pritam


8.Rabindranath Tagore  was also a favourite author. I think I was in class 7th or 8th when I read a short story, 'Home Coming", a part of our  English  language subject. I loved many of his works but it was Gitanjali, which was,(and still is) my favourite book.
                                                          
Rabindranath-Tagore-Paper-Print-per002
Rabindra Nath  Tagore
                                                             

   9.Bernard Shaw was  a famous writer of modern times. His writings depicted his pain for the exploitation  lower classes. He was known more for his plays. his plays Pygmalion and Arms and the Man. I had written a review of Arms and the Man in M.A.
                                                         
                                                                   George Bernard Shaw 1936.jpg

10. Charles Dickens. His works Pickwick Papers, A tale of two cities made him a writer  for all   times.
5207
Charles Dickens
                                                     
11   I love to read and write poetry John Keats  is my favorite  poet. He was famous for his romantic poems.His Poem Nightingale will forever remain fresh. Unfortunately he died young.
John Keats by William Hilton.jpg
John Keats

12. Somerset Maugham was a famous writer for novels, short  stories ,plays . He also wrote a few poems I liked the novel, The Razor's Edge.

Maugham retouched.jpg



Written  for Write Tribe Pro Bloggers Week 5  Day  2.






                                                   
                                                 







15 comments:

  1. Many of your fav writers are my fav too..like Sudha Murthy, Munshi Premchand..for the rest of them I have read some liked some, cant say that i liked all their books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renu. I have also not read all the books of these authors. I like their style of writing.

      Delete
  2. This is a great list, Mrs Menon. I have enjoyed all of them - but somehow, I'm averse to reading Sudha Murthy's - she churns them out too fast for my liking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne.I am happy that we have a similar liking for majority of authors.

      Delete
  3. Great list, Ushaji.
    We share many in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a diverse list :) loved it. I love Mahaswetha too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shakespeare is my all-time favorite. I have not had much exposure to Indian writers to date, but I was able with a little digging to find some poems by Amrita Pritam online. So hopefully, I can find works by others on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LuAnn Braley for the efforts you made to search for Indian writers on line.

      Delete
  6. I've always been partial to O Henry... I loved his style of trying out different hats and genres and yet encompassing the best and worst of mankind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DoctorI I too like O Henry but I like others in comparision to him.

      Delete
  7. 9 of the 12 authors, I have read and I liked reading too :) Not read Hardy, Shaw or Pritam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leo . You must read Hardy.All his books are very absorbing.

      Delete